||King David I granted charter for the erection
of the Monestery of the Holy Cross or Holyrood.
|| Heriot's Hospital"was founded and erected
for £30,000 by George Heriot, citizen of Edinburgh and
jeweller to King James VI.
|| The Tron Kirk was founded
| St Cuthbert's Church erected.
|21 Oct 1763
||North Bridge: The first stone was laid for the
North Bridge, which provided a route leading from the Old
Town to the (yet to be constructed) New Town of Edinburgh
||The Nor' Loch was drained
||Edinburgh New Town: James Craig created the
design of the Edinburgh New Town
||The North Bridge was completed
||Register Office [East Register House] was founded
||The Earthen Mound was commenced, to give a second
communication between the Old Town and New Town. It was created
by throwing earth excavated from the foundations of houses
in the New Town into the Nor' Loch.
||New Assembly Rooms were founded in George Street.
||Leith Docks: The foundation-stone of the eastern
wet docks was laid
||The Meadows: The Town Council agreed to have
the Meadows drained "
||Royal Mile: "During this year, a great
part of the Luckenbooths was pulled down, the High Street
widened where they stood, and the beautiful old Cathedral
of St Giles opened to public view"
|20 May 1806
||Leith Docks: The new wet dock was opened.
|21 Oct 1807
|| Nelson Monument: The foundation-stone of Lord
Nelson's monument was laid on Calton Hill. The monument is
in the shape of a telescope standing on its end.
|14 Mar 1811
||Leith Docks: The foundation-stone for the middle
wet dock was laid. The dock was completed in 1817.
|15 Apr 1813
|| Newhaven: The Foundation stone of the new harbour
at Newhaven was laid.
|19 Sep 1815
|| Regent Bridge and Calton Jail: Foundation Stones
laid for Regent Bridge and the new Calton Jail were laid.
|| Edinburgh Races: The Caledonian Hunt and Edinburgh
Races were held for the first time, in 1916, at Musselburgh.
In earlier years, Leith Sands had been the venue.
|31 Nov 1817
|| Leith Harbour: The second new wet dock at Leith
|25 Jan 1817
||"The Scotsman": The first edition
of The Scotsman newspaper was published on 25 January 1817.
|3 Mar 1818
|| Union Canal: Construction of the Edinburgh
& Glasgow Union Canal commenced
|3 Feb 1820
|| Proclamation: Ceremony at the Cross of Edinburgh
to proclaim George IV as King, following the death of George
III on 29 Jan 1820.
|| The Nor' Loch: That part of it which lies to
the west of The Mound was enclosed, drained and planted with
trees and shrubs, and walks formed in it. This is now West
Princes Street Gardens
|28 Apr 1821
|| St Andrew Square: Foundation Stone laid for
the Melville Monument in St Andrew Square
|10 Jan 1822
|| Princes Street 53 gas lanterns were installed
in Princes Street. These replaced 79 oil lamps
|| Union Canal: Edinburgh & Glasgow Union
Canal was opened. The length of the canal was 31.5 miles long.
|| Register House at the east end of Princes Street,
facing the North Bridge, was completed.
|27 Aug 1822
|| National Monument: The foundation-stone was
laid during King George IV's visit to Edinburgh, though he
did not attend the ceremony personallyThe original plan was
to construct an edifice after the Parthenon of Athens at a
cost of £60,000.Twenty years later it was written:"Twelve
columns only have been erected at the expense of £13,000"
[Source: McDowell's Guide: c.1840]The plan to complete this
monument was abandoned. The monument looks the same today
as it did in 1840.
|30 Jun 1823
|| Edinburgh Academy: The foundation-stone was
|| New Botanic Gardens opened at Inverleith Row,
replacing the Royal Botanic Garden, Leith Walk.
|24 May 1824
|| Tanfield: The foundation-stone was laid for
oil-gas works at Tanfield was laid by Sir Walter Scott, Chairman
of the company.
|15 Nov 1824
|| The most disastrous fire in the history of
the City broke out, destroying many houses between the High
Street and Cowgate, and the steeple of the Tron Church.
|28 Jul 1825
|| Royal High School: The foundation-stone of
the new Royal High School was laid with Masonic honours.
|13 Feb 1826
|| The Royal Institution, The Mound, opened. This
is now the National Gallery of Scotland.
|| St Stephen's Church erected.
|| Steam Coach: A steam coach was constructed
by James and George Naysmith, sons of the artist. It ran between
Leith and Queensferry at between 4 and 7 miles per hour.
|24 Dec 1828
|| Burke & Hare: The trial of Burke, for the
Burke & Hare murders, began in the High Court
|23 Jun 1829
|| Royal High School: The Royal High School, described
in the press as one of the most perfect classical edifices
in the country was opened.
|29 Sep 1829
|| Tolbooth Church: The foundation-stone was laid.
|| Pitt Statue was erected in George Street.
|| Dean Bridge was erected.
|15 Aug 1840
|| The Scott Monument foundation-stone was laid.The
Monument, a Gothic design, was created by architect, George
Meikle Kemp. The Statue of Sir Walter Scott is by John Steele
RSA. The Monument was formerly inaugurated on 17 Aug 1846.George
Meikle Kemp did not live to see the completion of the Monument.
He drowned in an accident in the Union Canal on 6 March 1844.
|1 Sep 1842
|| Queen Victoria & Prince Albert landed at
|| Warriston Cemetery opened.
|| The Burns Monument is situated close to the
Royal High School on the road from Edinburgh to London, beneath
|24 Jan 1844
|| Royal Institution: A large statue of Queen
Victoria, carved by Sir John Steele, was placed on top of
the Royal Institution in 1843.
|4 Jun 1844
|| Commercial Bank: The foundation-stone of the
Commercial Bank in George Street was laid.
|19 Jan 1845
|| Fire totally destroyed Old Greyfriars Church,
and badly damaged New Greyfriar's Church.
|17 Aug 1846
|| The Scott Monument was inaugurated.
|30 Aug 1850
|| National Gallery: Prince Albert, travelling
with Queen Victoria on their way to Balmoral, laid the foundation
stone of the National Gallery of Art at the Mound
|3 Feb 1851
|| Donaldson's Hospital inaugurated.
|14 Jun 1852
|| Wellington's statue was set up opposite Register
House. This was the anniversary of Waterloo
|17 Aug 1852
|| Victoria Dock opened at Leith for admission
|19 Dec 1855
|| Queen's Theatre & Opera House was opened.
|14 Jun 1857
|| Old Greyfriar's Church, was reopened after
total destruction by fire in 1845.
|22 Mar 1859
|| National Gallery opened to the public
|23 Dec 1859
|| National Museum of Antiquities was inaugurated,
and opened to the public the following week. This building,
in Queen Street is now the Scottish National Portrait Gallery
|26 Jan 1861
|| The Time Gun was first fired by electrical
arrangement from the Nelson Monument
|23 Sep 1861
|| Museum: The foundation-stone of the new Museum
of Science and Art was laid by Prince Albert
|23 Sep 1861
|| Post Office: Foundation-stone of the Post Office
was laid by Prince Albert
|21 Jun 1864
|| Last Public Execution in the City - George
Bryce, the Ratho murderer
|13 Jan 1865
|| Fire: Theatre Royal, Broughton Street, destroyed
|2 May 1870
|| Caledonian Railway Station opened at West End
of Princes Street
|13 Oct 1870
|| Royal Infirmary: Foundation-stone laid for
the Royal Infirmary, Lauriston Place
|6 Feb 1875
|| Fire: Theatre Royal, Broughton Street burnt
to the ground (again!)
|20 Oct 1875
|| North Bridge re-opened after having been widened
and its level raised 18 inches.
|18 Jun 1876
|| Waverley Market: The Promenade on top of the
Waverley Market opened. This was formed by the city covering
in the market.
|29 Oct 1879
|| New Infirmary opened.
|| Telephones: The telephone was introduced into
|| The Scott Monument: The Town Council resolved
to fill the niches in the Scott Monument with sculptured figures
representing characters from the Waverley Novels.
|10 Sep 1883
|| Lyceum Theatre opened
|30 Jun 1884
|| Fire: Theatre Royal was totally destroyed by
|22 Aug 1884
|| Prince and Princess of Wales visited the International
Forestry Exhibition held in the grounds of Donaldson's Hospital.
|16 Oct 1884
|| Edinburgh Suburban Railway opened.
|6 May 1886
|| International Exhibition opened
in the Meadows.
|9 Jul 1887
|| Public Library on George IV Bridge - the foundation-stone
|15 Jul 1889
||Portrait Gallery:: The Scottish National Portrait
Gallery in Queen Street opened.
|4 Mar 1890
|| The Forth Bridge: The last rivet was driven
into the Forth Bridge, and the bridge was declared open
|9 Jun 1890
|| Public Library opened on George IV Bridge.This
library includes the Edinburgh Room with its extensive collection
of books, directories, photographs, maps and other material
relating to the history of Edinburgh.
|| St Cuthbert's New Parish Church foundation-stone
|26 Nov 1892
|| Jenners - Fire: The premises of Messrs Charles
Jenner & Co, silk merchants and drapers, Princes Street,
were completely destroyed by fire.
|11 Apr 1895
|| Electric Light was installed in Edinburgh
|| Edinburgh's boundaries were extended to include
|7 Apr 1896
|| Observatory: A new observatory was opened on
Blackford Hill, having taken four years to build
|25 May 1896
|| North Bridge: The foundation-stone was laid
for the new North Bridge
|15 Sep 1897
|| North Bridge: The new North Bridge was opened.
|Dec 3 1897
|| McEwan Hall opened.
|25 Oct 189
||8 Calton Hill: The observatory opened.
|| Royal Visit: In May 1903, King Edward VII and
Queen Alexandra rode through the decorated streets of Edinburgh
to mark Edward's coronation in London the previous year.
|| Floral Clock: The Floral Clock was installed
in Princes Street Gardens in 1903. Hands were added in 1904
and the cuckoo was added in 1905. The floral decoration around
the clock commemorated a different event each year.
|| Fire: Empire Palace Theatre: On 9 May 1911,,
the illusionist 'The Great Lafayette' accidentally set light
to the stage at the Empire Palace Theatre with a lighted torch.
The theatre burnt down. Lafayette was one of ten who died
in the incident.The Empire Theatre opened again as The Edinburgh
Festival Theatre in 1994.